Monday, August 4, 2008

Sharing My Heart(s) with Others

A heavy rainstorm blew in from the west yesterday. Dark, billowing clouds hung draped over the landscape obscuring the clarity of the once crystal china blue skies. It reminded me how life can often feel at times...confused, full of darkness with the threat of storms brewing just ahead. Eventually, though, the storm passes...often with a rainbow to herald the return of sunny skies and a brighter outlook. Out of the confusion and chaos emerges clarity...hope.

Today, I had a breakthrough. I'd recently been praying for guidance and direction with this blog, about what to do with my growing heart rock collection. The clouds of confusion parted and the crystal light of clarity emerged. Quietly...this simple message was heard, "Share your heart(s) with others."

During my lunch break today, I took my usual walk along the Charles River and ended up at my favorite bench. Just before heading back to my office, I bent down to put on my shoes. There amidst the sand and gravel was another tiny heart rock. When I returned to my desk, I carefully placed it in my heart-shaped shell with two other hearts. A beautiful addition to my collection, though I felt a nagging voice inside me urging me to give these away...to share them with someone.

Just then, a colleague interrupted my heart-rock gardening to share some sad news about a colleague's loss of her father. My immediate thought was to give her one of the heart rocks. Offer it as a touchstone...a symbol of love...a remembrance of the love once shared with her father... of the Father's love that is everlasting.


Giving our hearts to another...sharing ourselves...offering love in times of need...this is what matters. God reveals to me each day His love for me...it's poured out in unending measure. In turn, I must pour out this love flowing within me to others. I cannot keep it for myself.

St. Francis Prayer
Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

3 comments:

Stardust said...

Oh yes, I know the prayer... it always speaks so loud to me... I'm sorry to hear the slighty burdened heart of yours, but I'm sure that the Lord is helping you to empty it with an overflowing love. I can feel this passion in you to share and give, and I know that the Holy Spirit will guide you... I think you did the right thing by sharing with others, though I would really love to see that tiny heart. Thank you for this wonderful sharing today. It reminds me that I should share my love and blessings too... Hugs...

Kimberly 'Butterfly Wings' said...

Thanks for the encouragement! God has truly blessed me...I need to trust this will continue the more I learn to trust in HIM and share with others. I'll confess...I decided to give my colleague a bigger heart and kept the tiny one. Tomorrow I'm going to take a picture to show you my 'tiny hearts' collection :) Peaceful blessings sent your way...

sharilyn said...

Kimberly, thanks for sharing your heart with those of us 'out here.' I appreciate your inspiration and encouragement and your "spurring on of others to great deeds!" (I have yet to give away one of my heart rocks!)