Today, I had a breakthrough. I'd recently been praying for guidance and direction with this blog, about what to do with my growing heart rock collection. The clouds of confusion parted and the crystal light of clarity emerged. Quietly...this simple message was heard, "Share your heart(s) with others."
During my lunch break today, I took my usual walk along the Charles River and ended up at my favorite bench. Just before heading back to my office, I bent down to put on my shoes. There amidst the sand and gravel was another tiny heart rock. When I returned to my desk, I carefully placed it in my heart-shaped shell with two other hearts. A beautiful addition to my collection, though I felt a nagging voice inside me urging me to give these away...to share them with someone.
Just then, a colleague interrupted my heart-rock gardening to share some sad news about a colleague's loss of her father. My immediate thought was to give her one of the heart rocks. Offer it as a touchstone...a symbol of love...a remembrance of the love once shared with her father... of the Father's love that is everlasting.
Giving our hearts to another...sharing ourselves...offering love in times of need...this is what matters. God reveals to me each day His love for me...it's poured out in unending measure. In turn, I must pour out this love flowing within me to others. I cannot keep it for myself.
St. Francis Prayer
- Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
- where there is hatred, let me sow love;
- where there is injury, pardon;
- where there is doubt, faith;
- where there is despair, hope;
- where there is darkness, light;
- and where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love;
- for it is in giving that we receive,
- it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.